Thursday, September 18, 2014

Sept. 18th Blog 5: As You Like It

As You Like It was much easier for me to read compared to Richard II. It was so much fun reading it because it seemed like a love story by the end. The play was very comical because I wanted to laugh when Rosalind was acting as Ganymede but was telling Orlando to think of her as Rosalind while she was dressed up as a guy. I think that was what was so comical about the play.


It seemed like everyone knew there was something feminine about this Ganymede character but no one really wants to come out and say that to a supposed man. This seems like something of today where we do not go around asking a woman or a man if they are really a woman or a man just because we think a woman is a man or a man is a woman. They would probably not be pleased and might hit us or say bad things to us.


I really want to say that I found it odd when Celia is in disguise as Aliena, Oliver comes along and falls in love with her but he says in ACT 5. SC. 2 line 8, “I love Aliena.” I find this odd because he is in love with a disguise but when they get married it says Celia and not Aliena. I kind of thought about what Dr. Plough said in class about some things happening offstage and that maybe Celia told her story to Oliver about how Aliena was just a disguise. Then he could have accepted her because even though she was using the name Aliena, she is still the same person on the inside.


Another thing that reminds me about what Dr. Plough said with things happening off stage. We see Audrey and Touchstone about to get married in ACT 3. SC. 3, but we never see Audrey before this scene so we never get to see Touchstone woo her into marrying him. They just appear, plan to get married but don’t until the end. I have to wonder how they feel in love, why they want to get married, did they spend time offstage getting to know each other? I mean we see later William, a guy who loves Audrey and wants to marry her. She knows who he is and it seems like they know more about each other than her and Touchstone do.

Another thing I found interesting was how Oliver wants to kill his brother Orlando and he even says that he has never loved his brother. I think some siblings can relate to this because when they are little and an only child they have it all, but once a sibling enters the picture, they can’t have it all so the older sibling wants to get rid of the younger sibling, although these are two older brothers, they should know the difference and the laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment